Subject: [bug#47160] [PATCH] scripts: substitute: Add back some error handling.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 21:51:02 +0100

Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> Regarding <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/47157>, I would lean towards
>> perhaps reverting the connection/error-handling patch series and
>> starting anew from that “known state”.
>>
>> This area is unfortunately quite tedious to test and to get right so I’d
>> err on the path of conservative, incremental changes.
>>
>> Thought?
>
> My preference is still to try and move forward and to make the error
> handling easier to see in the code.
>
> Particularly with this change, I think the problem was introduced in
> this commit [1], but I think it's hard to tell from the diff, since the
> error handling and retrying is within with-cached-connection.
>
> 1: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=f50f5751fff4cfc6d5abba9681054569694b7a5c
>
> That commit was one of the commits where I was making small incremental
> changes prior to actually getting to the changes I was looking at
> making, but a breakage was still introduced.
>
> What I was thinking about with this patch was how to make the error
> handling being added back here easier to see, and thus harder to
> break/remove.

OK.

Though I’m still unsure what the patch series starting at
7b812f7c84c43455cdd68a0e51b6ded018afcc8e was about.  What was the end
goal?

I also wonder if it introduced other issues.  For
example, 7b812f7c84c43455cdd68a0e51b6ded018afcc8e replaced a reference
to ‘open-connection-for-uri/cached’ by one to
‘open-connection-for-uri/maybe’.  Are we still using cached connections?

Commit f50f5751fff4cfc6d5abba9681054569694b7a5c no longer passes the
#:port parameter to ‘http-fetch’.

Commit 20c08a8a45d0f137ead7c05e720456b2aea44402 does other things but at
first sight I’m not sure what the effect is.

If you’re confident we can move forward to fix the bug, that’s great
(though we’ll need a good deal of testing), but I’d still like to
clarify these points later on.

Ludo’.