Subject: Re: [External] : bug#47150: 28.0.50; Incorrect major-mode in minibuffer

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 13:10:57 -0400

> Why?  Until very recently (? 2 months ago), minibuffer-inactive-mode
> served for both active and inactive MBs.

No: it was *activated* every time the minibuffer became inactive (and
not when the minibuffer was becoming active), and its keymap was only
active when the minibuffer was inactive.

The keymap and the hook are the main two features of
`minibuffer-inactive-mode`.

> The idea here is to avoid the proliferation of unneeded major modes.

Major modes are cheap.  There is no problem with proliferation.

> We don't seem to need two distinct modes here for the minibuffer.

The two situations are very different, where the users expect very
different behavior.

> This is pretty much, but not quite, the same as how things were up until
> recently.

No, it's completely different: the difference may seem minor, but
this minor reason is the raison d'être of `minibuffer-inactive-mode`, so
what you're suggesting is, in practice, the removal of
`minibuffer-inactive-mode`.

        Stefan