Subject: Re: [External] : bug#47150: 28.0.50; Incorrect major-mode in minibuffer

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 16:15:22 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 10:01:28 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >> To sum up, the minibuffer will always be in `minibuffer-mode',
> >> regardless of whether it is active or inactive.

> Please don't do that.  Make `minibuffer-mode` be the *parent* mode, yes.
> But keep `minibuffer-inactive-mode` as a separate major mode.

Why?  Until very recently (? 2 months ago), minibuffer-inactive-mode
served for both active and inactive MBs.  The idea is simply to rename
that mode to minibuffer-mode (with aliases for the old names).

The idea here is to avoid the proliferation of unneeded major modes.  We
don't seem to need two distinct modes here for the minibuffer.

> >> I think this will enable you to solve the problems you have.

> But it would be a regression since it would get rid of
> `minibuffer-inactive-mode`.

No, it would rename it; the only difference between -active- and
-inactive- would be the local key map in force.  This would revert to
minibuffer-mode-map (formerly known as ...-inactive-...) at the
termination of the minibuffer operation.

This is pretty much, but not quite, the same as how things were up until
recently.

>         Stefan

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).