Subject: bug#47150: closed (Re: [External] : bug#47150: 28.0.50; Incorrect major-mode in minibuffer)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 10:26:02 +0000

Your bug report

#47150: 28.0.50; Incorrect major-mode in minibuffer

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
47150: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=47150
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [External] : bug#47150: 28.0.50; Incorrect major-mode in minibuffer
From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
To: Sheng Yang <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>, Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 10:25:25 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello, Sheng.

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 14:18:29 -0500, Sheng Yang wrote:
> Hi everyone,

> Thanks you all for the discussion and especially @Stefan for the patch.
> The patch looks good to me (I am on emacs 28 pgtk branch).

Many thanks for the testing!

> It does cause lispy and telega to malfunction due to their use of
> minibuffer-inactive-mode, but I managed to fix those by replacing (eq
> major-mode 'minibuffer-inactive-mode) with (derived-mode-p
> 'minibuffer-mode).

Yes.  It seems this is unavoidable.

> When this patch gets merged to master, I will send PRs to all the
> packages I am aware of using minibuffer-inactive-mode, i.e.
> lispy/telega/smartparens/lunarymacs (and possibly package-lint).

Thanks for doing that.

I've now committed the patch (modified in line with Stefan's suggestions)
to the master branch at savannah, and I'm closing the bug with this post.

> Best regards,
> Sheng

[ .... ]

> Sheng Yang(杨圣), PhD
> Computer Science Department
> University of Maryland, College Park
> E-mail: [email-masked]
> E-mail (old but still used): [email-masked]

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Subject: 28.0.50; Incorrect major-mode in minibuffer
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 19:57:09 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The major-mode in the minibuffer is incorrectly set to fundamental-mode, even when it is the first one.  Reproduce with the following steps:

1. emacs -q
2. Eval the following:

(defun report-major-mode ()
  (message "mini-buffer major-mode is %s" major-mode))
(add-hook 'minibuffer-setup-hook 'report-major-mode)

3. Press M-; to call eval-expression, which will report that the major-mode is fundamental-mode

The offending commit is 636ef445af.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.26, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2021-03-12 built on Desktop
Repository revision: 592fabdc7f8d9c52c931843a153fdac67a302c30
Repository branch: makepkg
Windowing system distributor 'System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-sound=alsa --with-modules --without-gconf --without-gsettings
 --with-native-compilation --with-pgtk --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --without-xaw3d --without-m17n-flt --with-cairo --with-xwidgets
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2
 -pipe -fno-plt -g -fuse-ld=gold' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2
LIBOTF LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER
PGTK PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XIM XWIDGETS GTK3
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: zh_CN.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: zh_CN.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=fcitx
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: ELisp/d

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map text-property-search time-date mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail comp comp-cstr warnings subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra
help-mode seq byte-opt gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp byte-compile cconv
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils china-util
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite
charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
xwidget-internal dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit pgtk lcms2 multi-tty
make-network-process nativecomp emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 86740 7633)
 (symbols 48 7951 1)
 (strings 32 21797 2724)
 (string-bytes 1 749467)
 (vectors 16 16994)
 (vector-slots 8 376872 18158)
 (floats 8 31 79)
 (intervals 56 277 0)
 (buffers 992 14))