Subject: Re: bug#47144: security patching of 'patch' package

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2024 20:49:54 -0400

Hi Simon,

Simon Tournier <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 05 Jun 2024 at 18:04, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> What about renaming ‘patch’ to ‘patch/pinned’ and having ‘patch’ point
>> to the new version?
>>
>> Internally, we’d refer to ‘patch/pinned’ in (guix packages), but user
>> code etc. would refer to ‘patch’ and thus get the latest version.
>
> I agree; it appears to me “safer” than the graft.
>
> However, the cost is to identify which package needs ’patch/pinned’ and
> which needs new ’patch’.  Then once upstream Patch upgrades, there is
> also the question to unpin all the packages.

Indeed.  It'll be easy though to grep for 'patch/pinned', which are far
and few in between, compared to grepping for 'patch'...  I've
implemented Ludovic's suggestion in v4, before I actually read this
reply of yours... I think it's OK; it goes a bit further than
'patch-latest' to protect users in case they refer to the 'patch'
package variable directly.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim