Subject: bug#47130: 28.0.50; Gnus: mairix doesn't work anymore

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 23:39:37 +0100

Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> I was finally able to get mairix to index a test server, and searching
> worked just fine. One thing I realized afterwards is that I had set the
> remove-prefix to the directory where the actual mails are kept
> ("/home/eric/Mail"), whereas it looks like you've set it to the
> directory where mairix is supposed to put its search-result symlinks
> ("/home/micha/mairix").

Indeed: I changed that and now searching works well!  Many thanks, dunno
how long I would have had to continue debugging until I had found that.

> This is the main difference between nnmairix and gnus-search with
> mairix: nnmairix actually creates new groups and reads them directly,
> gnus-search returns a list of results that refer to messages on the
> original server. The "-r" option is passed to mairix, which tells it not
> to create its own folders but return the original file names of matched
> results -- that's why remove-prefix has to refer to the underlying
> server.
>
> Hope that makes sense.

Makes a lot of sense, yes.

> I suppose I should add a note to the documentation?

Yes, it would be good to make that clearer.

BTW, I didn't even understand why it is even necessary to provide that.
If Gnus gets absolute names from mairix, why isn't it able to resolve
them in this case?

Thanks,

Michael.