Subject: [bug#47126] [PATCH 0/7] Add 'generic-html' updater

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 14:52:44 +0100

Hi Léo,

Léo Le Bouter <[email-masked]> skribis:

> That's awesome thanks a lot Ludo!!

Just pushed this series as fe96f64110676f28b948f0d31a1726501abdae0e.
Unleash your update powers, comrades!  :-)

> I am wondering, does this handle cases where there's a subfolder with
> version and then another tarball with version as well?
>
> Like GNOME for example: 
> https://download.gnome.org/sources/NetworkManager/1.31/NetworkManager-1.31.1.tar.xz
>
> I see this is a generic solution, I see you made available some options
> to customize per-package as needed but can we get as precise/reliable
> as Debian's watch/uscan with that?

There’s a ‘gnome’ updater for GNOME:

  https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-refresh.html

And yes, it actually works.  :-)

In the case of NetworkManager, there’s a bug right now:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix refresh network-manager
ni sekvas la redirektigon al 'https://download.gnome.org/sources/NetworkManager/cache.json'...
ni sekvas la redirektigon al 'https://fr2.rpmfind.net/linux/gnome.org/sources/NetworkManager/cache.json'...
gnu/packages/gnome.scm:7648:13: network-manager would be upgraded from 1.24.0 to rc2
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

I’ll see what’s up.  But otherwise ‘guix refresh -t gnome’ produces
sensible results.

At any rate, updaters sometimes bitrot, produce buggy results as in the
example above.  Please do use ‘guix refresh’ and report any issues!

Also, there are still ~12% of packages for which none of the updaters
apply.  We should investigate and see how we can bring that down to
zero.

Thanks for your feedback!

Ludo’.