Subject: bug#47115: Failure building grub-img.png when reconfiguring

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 02:41:14 -0500

Hi Jack,

Jack Hill <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, 12 Mar 2021, Jack Hill wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 12 Mar 2021, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>>
>>> Jack: is the problem reproducible, or could it have been a sporadic
>>> failure?
>>
>> So far I've only reconfigured beyond the graft on the one VM, but with 
>> multiple commits. I'll try it on another host shortly.
>
> I was not able to reproduce the problem on my desktop. Both systems are 
> using the bios grub-bootloader.

Thanks.  Given this, and the lack of similar reports from others, my
guess is that you hit a non-deterministic Guile bug, possibly the same
one as <https://bugs.gnu.org/46879> (Non-deterministic failures while
building Guix with Guile 3.0.5).

If the problem happens reproducibly on that one VM only, that suggests
that the bug might have led to a corrupted store item, i.e. a store item
containing a .go file with bad code.  If so, running "guix gc" might be
sufficient to clear the corrupted items.

     Regards,
       Mark