Subject: Re: bug#47111: [PATCH] doc: Document the guidelines for removing inactive committers.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 10:56:31 +0100

Hi Nicolas,

Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]> skribis:

> My concern is that removing commit access is also a symbolic act, which
> could be taken personally. I think it is necessary to explain the reason
> behind it. IOW, I suggest to make sure the message is not understood as
> "you are deemed useless after 12 months not working for us".

In my view, documenting it is precisely a way to make sure no one takes
it personally: the rules are known beforehand, no one is caught by
surprise.  That also means maintainers don’t have to hesitate,
negotiate, worry, and all that.

> Minimal explanation leads to maximal interpretation, and not everyone
> has the same English command.

True.  I think the suggestion you and Leo made to add “In order to avoid
mistakes” can clarify that.

To me that’s the main reason for this policy.  Another one is security
(someone has their laptop stolen, for instance), but similar security
risks exist while the person is active.

Thanks,
Ludo’.