Subject: Re: bug#47109: eldoc.el: Allow custom separator between documentations in the echo area

From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 16:44:57 +0100

Thanks for the ping, Lars.  I will read that bug, too.    I hope to
propose my own patch to solve this problem in the not so distant
future.

To be clear, I'm just slightly wary of introducing this patch, a limited
way to solve this, if that means we would have to provide backward
compatibility for it in case we want to move to a more robust system
later on. Thing is, as far as I understand it, between two Emacs
releases (i.e. in trunk) we're generally not obliged to provide this
backward compatibility.  But Eldoc is also distributed independently
in ELPA releases, directly from trunk, and that may change things
a bit.  So erring on the side of caution here.  Feel free to comment
on the policy followed here.

João

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 4:38 PM Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I have no comment on this patch, but I note that bug#44885 seems to deal
> with similar issues (i.e., custom eldoc separators, if I skimmed that
> bug report correctly).
>
> --
> (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
>    bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no
>

-- 
João Távora