Subject: Re: [bug#47104] [PATCH 1/2] gnu: Add grumble.

From: Leo Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 21:37:50 +0100

Hi jgart,

Am Freitag, den 12.03.2021, 16:25 +0000 schrieb jgart:
> Now, to create a grumble-service-type :)
I know you mean this somewhat jokingly, but is there anything (apart
maybe from the name of the binary), that would keep you from reusing
murmur-service-type?

> @@ -4809,7 +4810,7 @@ test results.")
>  (define-public go-github-com-golang-protobuf-proto
>    (package
>      (name "go-github-com-golang-protobuf-proto")
> -    (version "1.3.1")
> +    (version "1.3.5")
>      (source (origin
>                (method git-fetch)
>                (uri (git-reference
> @@ -4818,7 +4819,7 @@ test results.")
>                (file-name (git-file-name name version))
>                (sha256
>                 (base32
> -                "15am4s4646qy6iv0g3kkqq52rzykqjhm4bf08dk0fy2r58knpsy
> l"))))
> +                "1gkd1942vk9n8kfzdwy1iil6wgvlwjq7a3y5jc49ck4lz9rhmgk
> q"))))
>      (build-system go-build-system)
>      (arguments
>       '(#:import-path "github.com/golang/protobuf/proto"
Please refrain from silently bumping other packages 😉

> +      (version (git-version "0.0.0" revision commit))
Three 0s is a bit much for a package, that has declared 1.0~devel since
its inception.  Are there even plans to release this ever?

Apart from the above, there are some other question, that I'd like to
ask before greenlighting this patch.
1. Is this package in its current state usable?
2. Is it still maintained upstream?  It is a little stretch to say
Grumble is undergoing active development after a year of no activity.
3. https://github.com/mumble-voip/grumble#project-status lists quite a
few features that are lacking, but does it maybe contain features, that
would make it worth packaging?

If the answer is "no" to any of the above, I'm not too sure whether it
would be wise to have this in Guix upstream.  If LibreMiami wanted to
host grumble instances on Guix regardless, perhaps a channel might be a
better fit?

> This was packaged by myself, donotshake, and Raghav Gururajan while
> communicating on a grumble instance[...].
I'm not sure whether our broadcasting regulations would require you to
label this patch as product placement, but thanks for the info, I
guess.

Regards,
Leo