Subject: Re: bug#4709: 23.1; keyboard-translate not working with emacs daemon

From: Ryo Furue <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 11:07:19 -1000 (HST)

Hi Stefan,

Thank you very much for your response.

| AFAIK, you cannot set it globally.
|
Then, could we make it a request for a new feature?
We could even say that the keyboard-translate functionality
is partially broken because it sometimes works and sometimes
doesn't (Please recall my example).

| You can arrange to set it in every
| terminal (by putting (keyboard-translate ?\C-h ?\C-?) on some
| hook whose name escapes me), tho.

That sounds promising.

| Still, I wonder: why would you want to set such a mapping
| everywhere?
| 
I'm not sure if I understand your question. . . .  If you want
a keyboard translation, you'd want it everywhere consistently,
wouldn't you?

In this particular case, I want C-h to delete the character
before the cursor anywhere and everywhere (when deleting
characters makes sense, that is.  You don't want to delete
characters on a webpage displayed by a webbrowser,
for example).  That's natural for a person like me
who instinctively types C-h to delete.

I used to use

 (global-set-key "\C-h" 'delete-backward-char)

instead of keyboard-translate.  But, as of emacs23, C-h invokes
a help-like feature in the incremental search even with the
setting above.

So, I think keyboard-translate is the cleanest,
once-and-for-all solution, if it works globally.

Best regards,
Ryo