Subject: Re: bug#4709: 23.1; keyboard-translate not working with emacs daemon

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:25:09 -0400

> My ~/.emacs has "(keyboard-translate ?\C-h ?\C-?)".  I start an emacs
> daemon with

>   $ /usr/bin/env XMODIFIERS=@im=none /usr/bin/emacs23 --daemon

> Then I start a client

>   $ /usr/bin/emacsclient.emacs23 -c

> But, "C-h" still invokes the emacs help system.

> Next, I evaluate "(keyboard-translate ?\C-h ?\C-?)" on the client.
> Then "C-h" starts to work as delete.

> Finally, I invoke another client with
> "/usr/bin/emacsclient.emacs23 -c", on which "C-h" works as delete
> from the beginning.

> I'm not sure if this is a bug.  I just wish there were a
> "proper" mechanism to set a keyboard-translate-table globally.

AFAIK, you cannot set it globally.  You can arrange to set it in every
terminal (by putting (keyboard-translate ?\C-h ?\C-?) on some hook whose
name escapes me), tho.

Still, I wonder: why would you want to set such a mapping everywhere?

        Stefan