Subject: bug#47084: Guile 3.0 - The module-use! 'target' functionality is broken

From: David Pirotte <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 00:17:38 -0300

Hello,

	Guile 3.0
	The module-use! 'target' functionality is broken

The code of module-use! itself didn't change, and call(s) to the
procedure work(s) fine, but the functionality it is supposed to
provide is broken.

To reproduce, save the following minimalist module somewhere:

;; start here
(define-module (a)
  #:use-module (srfi srfi-1))

(eval-when (expand load eval)
  (module-use! (module-public-interface (current-module))
               (resolve-interface '(srfi srfi-1))))
;; end here

	;; then, fire a 3.0 repl:
	(add-to-load-path "/your/path")
	,use (a)
	map

	[ below, my attempts using Guile 3.0.4.3-e076a5, then Guile
	[ 2.2.7.2-a5875-dirty to compare.

Fwiw:

	(a) G-Golf extensively relies on the module-use! functionality
'in general', and in particular, on its 'dynamic' implementation - that
is, the public interface of a module that has been 'module-used'
may evolve in time (at the 'essence' of any GI dynamic binding);

	(b) just like for the minimalist module (a) above, but it will
do so 'dynamically', G-Golf needs that the public interface of a
module that has been 'module-used' may re-export-and-replace a guile
core procedure (generally promoted as a generic function, with the core
proc as its default method).

Thanks,
David

GNU Guile 3.0.4.3-e076a5
...
scheme@(guile-user)> (add-to-load-path "/home/david/alto/projects/g-golf/3.0")
scheme@(guile-user)> ,use (a)
;;; compiling /home/david/alto/projects/g-golf/3.0/a.scm
;;; compiled /home/david/.cache/guile/ccache/3.0-LE-8-4.3/usr/alto/projects/g-golf/3.0/a.scm.go
scheme@(guile-user)> map
WARNING: (guile-user): imported module (a) overrides core binding `map'
WARNING: (guile-user): `map' imported from both (guile) and (a)
WARNING: (guile-user): imported module (a) overrides core binding `map'
WARNING: (guile-user): `map' imported from both (guile) and (a)
;;; <unknown-location>: warning: possibly unbound variable `map'
WARNING: (guile-user): imported module (a) overrides core binding `map'
WARNING: (guile-user): `map' imported from both (guile) and (a)
WARNING: (guile-user): imported module (a) overrides core binding `map'
WARNING: (guile-user): `map' imported from both (guile) and (a)
ice-9/boot-9.scm:1670:16: In procedure raise-exception:
Unbound variable: map

Entering a new prompt.  Type `,bt' for a backtrace or `,q' to continue.
scheme@(guile-user) [1]>

GNU Guile 2.2.7.2-a5875-dirty
...
scheme@(guile-user)> (add-to-load-path "/home/david/alto/projects/g-golf/3.0")
scheme@(guile-user)> ,use (a)
;;; note: auto-compilation is enabled, set GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0
;;;       or pass the --no-auto-compile argument to disable.
;;; compiling /home/david/alto/projects/g-golf/3.0/a.scm
;;; compiled /home/david/.cache/guile/ccache/2.2-LE-8-3.A/usr/alto/projects/g-golf/3.0/a.scm.go
scheme@(guile-user)> map
$2 = #<procedure map (f l) | (f l1 l2) | (f l1 . rest)>