Subject: bug#4706: 23.1.50; RMAIL mode fails to read mail first time

From: jpff <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 12:28:18 +0100

This started happening a few days ago.  When I invoke rmail command it
loads by RMAIL file and then asserts that there it cannot get the po:
password, and there is no new mail.  I then run (rmail-get-new-mail)
explicitely and it works.  I have 
(setq rmail-primary-inbox-list 
      '("po:jpff" "/var/spool/mail/jpff"))
(setenv "MAILHOST" "air.cs.bath.ac.uk")
and the password is set 
          (custom-set-variables
           '(rmail-pop-password-required t)
           '(rmail-pop-password "xxxxxxxx"))
This counts more of an irritation than a bug, but it used to work.  On
my other network which does not use pop there is no problem.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.7 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2009-10-12 on xenakis
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10502000
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: RMAIL

Minor modes in effect:
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-r g M-x r e p o <tab> r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
0 new messages read
Loading mail-extr...done
Getting mail from the remote server ...
Counting new messages...
Counting messages...20
Counting new messages...done (30)
Saving file /bigdisk/jpff/RMAIL...
Wrote /bigdisk/jpff/RMAIL
30 new messages read
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/local-lisp/t-mouse hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/t-mouse
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/local-lisp/ses hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/ses
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/local-lisp/scroll-lock hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/scroll-lock
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/local-lisp/ruler-mode hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/ruler-mode
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/local-lisp/emerge hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/emerge
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/local-lisp/url-http hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/url/url-http
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/local-lisp/url-vars hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/url/url-vars
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/local-lisp/url-parse hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/url/url-parse
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/local-lisp/url-ns hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/url/url-ns
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/local-lisp/url-nfs hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/url/url-nfs
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/local-lisp/url-news hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/url/url-news
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/local-lisp/url-misc hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/url/url-misc
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/local-lisp/url-ldap hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/url/url-ldap
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/local-lisp/url-irc hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/url/url-irc
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/local-lisp/url-gw hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/url/url-gw
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/local-lisp/url-file hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/url/url-file
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/local-lisp/url hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/url/url
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/local-lisp/url-cid hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/url/url-cid
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/local-lisp/url-cookie hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/url/url-cookie
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/local-lisp/url-cache hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/url/url-cache
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/local-lisp/url-auth hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/url/url-auth
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/local-lisp/socks hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/net/socks
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/local-lisp/feedmail hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/mail/feedmail
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/local-lisp/spam-stat hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/gnus/spam-stat
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/textmodes/table hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/srecode/table
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/semantic hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/srecode/semantic
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/progmodes/compile hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/srecode/compile
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/progmodes/cpp hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/srecode/cpp
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/loaddefs hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/srecode/loaddefs
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/srecode/texi hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/semantic/texi
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/sort hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/semantic/sort
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/srecode/java hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/semantic/java
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/chart hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/semantic/chart
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/srecode/find hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/semantic/find
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/format hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/semantic/format
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/complete hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/semantic/complete
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/debug hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/semantic/debug
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/srecode/ctxt hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/semantic/ctxt
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/loaddefs hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/semantic/loaddefs
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/semantic/wisent hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/semantic/wisent/wisent
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/progmodes/grep hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/semantic/symref/grep
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/srecode/mode hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/semantic/decorate/mode
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/srecode/el hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/semantic/bovine/el
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/debug hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/semantic/bovine/debug
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/debug hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/semantic/analyze/debug
/bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/complete hides /bigdisk/jpff/GNU_21/emacs-22.0.50/lisp/cedet/semantic/analyze/complete

Features:
(shadow mailabbrev mailalias emacsbug sendmail mime-compose
mail-alias-menu mailcrypt mail-extr comint ring rmail mail-utils eldoc
delsel image-file cus-start cus-load logger crypt crypt++
crypt+pgp-pub paren uniquify advice help-fns help-mode view
advice-preload holidays hol-loaddefs regexp-opt cal-menu easymenu
calendar cal-loaddefs time tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face text-properties overlay md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

==John ffitch