Subject: Re: bug#47058: 28.0.50; Dired Z: insert-directory: Reading directory: No such file or directory, CrossLine_linux_x86

From: "Michalis V." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 23:43:53 +0300

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> This change will now cause the files by default to be unpacked into
>> emacs-X.Y/emacs-X.Y/, which is not our intent when we produce the
>> tarball.
>
> I misread the patch somehow -- I thought in cases like that we'd end up
> with just emacs-X.Y/ (when the queried-for directory was the same as the
> one in the tar ball).
>
> So I've now reverted the patch on the trunk (and I'm reopening this bug
> report).

hi Lars,

I apologize, i should have provided an example. But still, this is only
if the user hits enter on the default suggestion. And to be fair, it
isn't any different with zip files, for example:

mkdir boing
dired-do-compress-to RET boing.zip

then hit Z on boing.zip and you'll have boing/boing/ created.

i.e. existing behavior across different formats isn't very consistent
either.

thanks,
Michalis