Subject: bug#47058: 28.0.50; Dired Z: insert-directory: Reading directory: No such file or directory, CrossLine_linux_x86

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 14:06:25 +0200

"Michalis V." <[email-masked]> writes:

> hi Michael,

Hi Michalis,

>> dired-compress-file is also handled by remote file name handlers like
>> Tramp. How does this fit?
>
> i stayed away from the handler part, basically i was scratching my head
> trying to figure out when this gets called in dired-compress-file
>
>     (cond (handler
>            (funcall handler 'dired-compress-file file))
>
> since i've never used tramp for compressing files etc. i'll have to dig
> into this area a bit.

This is a call of Tramp's own implementation of dired-compress-file when
default-directory is remote (ie, it has a syntax like
"/ssh:host:/path/to/file"). The reason is, that commands like "gzip"
must be executed on the remote "host" instead of the local one.

>> And note, that these days Tino Calancha is working in this area, see bug#50581.
>
> i'll have a look there too, thanks for the heads up!

Since Tramp's implementation tramp-sh-handle-dired-compress-file is
following the implementation in dired-compress-file, and the only other
handler is in ange-ftp, I'm curious whether we shall enable support for
remote systems directly in dired-compress-file. It uses already
process-file, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Opinions?

> cheers,
> Michalis

Best regards, Michael.