Subject: Re: bug#47058: 28.0.50; Dired Z: insert-directory: Reading directory: No such file or directory, CrossLine_linux_x86

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 12:32:15 +0300

> From: "Michalis V." <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 12:18:50 +0300
> 
> Btw one of the reasons i went with this approach and included -C
> parameter for tars were some security concerns expressed in #25611. 

That's a separate issue.  And I don't see how is it a security issue
for Emacs, when unpacking an archive manually with 'tar' etc. would
produce the same results.  If the user wants to overwrite his/her
sensitive files, we should let them do it, in the same way as other
utilities do.  But that's MO, and it is a separate concern anyway.

> There's also a suggestion in the discussion there that Z should just
> decompress and not untar the archive and the un-tarring should be a
> separate action/procedure. That would be a drastic solution to this
> problem but on the other hand it would make sense semantically
> (extract != decompress). What is your opinion on this?

I'm okay with having a separate command for unpacking, yes.  We'd need
to provide a backward-compatibility option if we do that, since 'Z'
unpacks for some time now.

> in any case i'll try to assemble another patch based on your suggestion.

Thanks.