Subject: bug#47058: 28.0.50; Dired Z: insert-directory: Reading directory: No such file or directory, CrossLine_linux_x86

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 23:26:57 +0300

This is the error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-missing "Reading directory" "No such file or directory" "CrossLine_linux_x86")
  access-file("CrossLine_linux_x86" "Reading directory")
  insert-directory("CrossLine_linux_x86" "--dired -al -d" nil nil)
  dired-insert-directory("/home/data1/protected/Downloads/" "-al -d" ("CrossLine_linux_x86"))
  dired-add-entry("/home/data1/protected/Downloads/CrossLine_linux_x8..." nil t)
  dired-update-file-line("/home/data1/protected/Downloads/CrossLine_linux_x8...")
  dired-compress()
  dired-map-over-marks-check(dired-compress nil compress t)
  dired-do-compress(nil)
  funcall-interactively(dired-do-compress nil)
  call-interactively(dired-do-compress nil nil)
  command-execute(dired-do-compress)

The error takes place when this file:
http://software.rochus-keller.info/CrossLine_linux_x86.tar.gz is
downloaded and in dired pressed Z:

insert-directory: Reading directory: No such file or directory, CrossLine_linux_x86

In my opinion, this file contains just one file, not directory, and
maybe uncompressing feature is looking for directory, but it should
not. Uncompress should work without error even with single files in the
compressed package.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 8, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.14.8, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2021-03-07 built on protected.rcdrun.com
Repository revision: 468bb5ab7f949441f68c4133fcd5292dfbbfd83d
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11907000
System Description: Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/data1/protected/GNUstep/Library/Libraries/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG
RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XAW3D XDBE XIM XPM LUCID
ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=exwm-xim
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort hashcash mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml
mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map text-property-search time-date subr-x seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils help-fns radix-tree
cl-print debug backtrace help-mode find-func cus-start cus-load misearch
multi-isearch dired-aux cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer
cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite
charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 74489 7983)
 (symbols 48 8670 1)
 (strings 32 24240 1273)
 (string-bytes 1 737012)
 (vectors 16 13446)
 (vector-slots 8 181429 12518)
 (floats 8 30 42)
 (intervals 56 1527 0)
 (buffers 992 14))

-- 
Thanks,
Jean Louis
⎔ λ 🄯 𝍄 𝌡 𝌚