Subject: bug#4705: 23.1.50; read-key makes menu-bar and tool-bar items disappear

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 08:39:24 +0900

>>>>> On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 16:01:18 -0400, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> said:

>> Steps to reproduce:
>> 1. emacs -Q
>> 2. ESC : (read-key) RET

>> Result:
>> The menu-bar and tool-bar items disappear except the
>> Lisp-Interaction menu.

> Indeed that's a bug: the Lisp-Interaction should also disappear.
> It seems to be a bug in the code that builds the menu-bar from the
> active keymaps.

Even if erasing all the items is the intended behavior (I think
disabling all the items is less surprising at least for the tool-bar),
its timing is inconsistent.  For example, if you replace Step 2 above
with (read-key) C-j, then menu-bar and tool-bar items don't disappear
immediately, but if you move the mouse pointer over a tool-bar item
and wait for a tooltip to be shown, then they will disappear.

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				[email-masked]