Subject: Re: bug#47032: 26.3; doc of `interprogram-paste-function'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 14:55:05 +0200

> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 23:46:37 +0000
> 
> The doc string and (elisp) `Low-Level Kill Ring' say that the function
> value of this var can return a "list of strings", to support window
> systems that support multiple selections.

Not "can", "may".

> Is this a Lisp list of file-name strings?

Of course.  What other kind of list could be alluded to in the ELisp
manual?

> What kind of multiselection in MS Windows would result in such a
> list being obtained and returned by the function value of the var?

MS Windows doesn't support selections at all, it only supports the
clipboard.

> And if that really was what was meant by a "list of strings" then maybe
> that doc could be clarified, because the way it is now I expected a Lisp
> list of strings that are (absolute) file names.

It's hard to clarify what the manual says because this is not
implemented yet in Emacs, see xselect.c (search for QMULTIPLE).

In a nutshell, this is something we hope will be implemented some day,
and if so, probably only for X selections.