Subject: bug#47028: [PATCH 1/2] doc: Discourage ambiguous package names.

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 22:41:57 +0100

* doc/contributing.texi (Package Naming): Explicitly mention
single-character and otherwise ambiguous names.
---
 doc/contributing.texi | 8 ++++++++
 doc/guix.texi         | 2 +-
 2 files changed, 9 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/doc/contributing.texi b/doc/contributing.texi
index c9dd7d6c04..a3facdcadc 100644
--- a/doc/contributing.texi
+++ b/doc/contributing.texi
@@ -445,6 +445,14 @@ the project name chosen upstream, with underscores replaced with
 hyphens.  For instance, GNUnet is available as @code{gnunet}, and
 SDL_net as @code{sdl-net}.
 
+A noteworthy exception to this rule is when the project name is only a
+single character, or if an older maintained project with the same name
+already exists---regardless of whether it has already been packaged for
+Guix.  Use common sense to make such names unambiguous and meaningful.
+For example, Guix's package for the shell called ``s'' upstream is
+@code{s-shell} and @emp{not} @code{s}.  Feel free to ask your fellow
+hackers for inspiration.
+
 We do not add @code{lib} prefixes for library packages, unless these are
 already part of the official project name.  But @pxref{Python
 Modules} and @ref{Perl Modules} for special rules concerning modules for
diff --git a/doc/guix.texi b/doc/guix.texi
index f01e7ca89d..d726fa491f 100644
--- a/doc/guix.texi
+++ b/doc/guix.texi
@@ -49,7 +49,7 @@ Copyright @copyright{} 2017, 2021 Christopher Lemmer Webber@*
 Copyright @copyright{} 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 Marius Bakke@*
 Copyright @copyright{} 2017, 2019, 2020 Hartmut Goebel@*
 Copyright @copyright{} 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021 Maxim Cournoyer@*
-Copyright @copyright{} 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 Tobias Geerinckx-Rice@*
+Copyright @copyright{} 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 Tobias Geerinckx-Rice@*
 Copyright @copyright{} 2017 George Clemmer@*
 Copyright @copyright{} 2017 Andy Wingo@*
 Copyright @copyright{} 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 Arun Isaac@*
-- 
2.30.1