Subject: [bug#47027] Disarchive package

From: Leo Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 11:08:54 +0100

Hi,
Am Donnerstag, den 11.03.2021, 22:06 -0500 schrieb Timothy Sample:
> It is just the auto compilation notes and warnings that I’m worried
> about.  The module closure of “swh.scm” works fine on Guile 3.0.2.
> 
> Eventually, the daemon will invoke Disarchive via “builtin:download”
> and
> “perform-download.scm”.  I intend to use the Scheme interface there,
> which means Disarchive will be runing on Guile 3.0.5.  For that, it
> would be preferable to have a Guile 3.0.5 version of Disarchive,
> right?
Guix offers package transformations on a command line/code level. 
Having packaged disarchival for Guile 3.0.2, it should be trivial to
provide a variant for Guix, that uses Guile 3.0.5.

Looking at the package description for Guix itself, it does not seem as
though an exception would be needed, though.  All of its dependencies
seem to "build and link" fine with Guile 3.0.2 even though Guix uses
3.0.5.  Perhaps it's because you're calling into Guix and thus forming
a dependency cycle or perhaps Guix is really good at hiding such
messages from the user otherwise (not that I know of any particularly
large effort to do so). 

> > > As far as the location is concerned, I personally do not like
> > > adding
> > > too many single-package files.  Would it make sense to add this
> > > to
> > > compression.scm (like gzip) or backup.scm (like libarchive)?
> > 
> > Maybe there’ll be other packages eventually in archival.scm, like
> > the
> > SWH Python code?  It’s fine with me, but I don’t have a strong
> > opinion.
> 
> I don’t feel strongly about it either.  There’s other software
> besides
> Disarchive and SWH that could be called “archival”, and I think it’s
> more accurate than the other options.
I think in that case it'd be fine, but OTOH we group libraries by
programming language and prefix them as well.  For instance, a python
library, that communicates with SWH would probably go to python-web or
python-xyz and be prefixed with python-.  Likewise, if disarchive is
not supposed to be primarily used as a command line tool, I think
putting it into guile-xyz as "guile-disarchive" makes more sense. 
WDYT?

Regards,
Leo