Subject: bug#47026: 28.0.50; Allow Gnus summary faces to extend to end of line

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 19:15:32 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Thinking about it some more, I wonder whether the summary faces
>> (e.g. gnus-summary-selected, gnus-summary-selected) should be defined
>> with :extend t?
>>
>> It's not a decision to make lightly of course, since :extend is special
>> in that themes inherit the value from the original definition.  I do
>> think it makes sense though; for gnus-summary-selected at least, I find
>> that it makes it easier to keep track of the currently selected article.
>
> I think that makes sense -- I mean, that's how Gnus displayed these
> things before Emacs was changed (incompatibly) in how faces on newline
> characters is displayed.
>
> That is, I think adding :extend t to most Gnus summary faces just brings
> us back to how it was designed to be displayed.

Mmm, unless I'm missing something, before my patch, the face was not
applied to the final newline, so even with :extend t the rest of the
line was not highlighted.

To double-check, I just fired up 26.3, removed %( and %) from
gnus-summary-line-format, added a background to gnus-summary-selected,
and opened a summary buffer: sure enough, the background stopped at the
last character, without extending to the window edge.

(Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your point)

Regardless, if we agree that :extend t makes sense, I'll cook up a patch
sometime next week if nobody beats me to it (a bit swamped at the
moment).

Thank you for your time.