Subject: bug#47026: 28.0.50; Allow Gnus summary faces to extend to end of line

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 19:13:12 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Right now Gnus only applies these faces right up to the char *before*
>> EOL; if it were to apply them one char further, users could then set (or
>> unset) the :extend property on these faces.
>>
>> I'm attaching a patch only for demonstration purposes; I do not know
>> whether it should be applied as-is.  It does Work For Me®, but:
>
> Makes sense to me, so I've applied it to Emacs 28.

Thanks (publicly this time) for the prompt reply!

Thinking about it some more, I wonder whether the summary faces
(e.g. gnus-summary-selected, gnus-summary-selected) should be defined
with :extend t?

It's not a decision to make lightly of course, since :extend is special
in that themes inherit the value from the original definition.  I do
think it makes sense though; for gnus-summary-selected at least, I find
that it makes it easier to keep track of the currently selected article.

Obligatory "everybody else does it this way®" lightning round:

KMail
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kmail-screenshot.png

Thunderbird
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Thunderbird_screenshot_2.png
https://screenshots.debian.net/package/thunderbird#gallery-2

aerc
https://yukari.sr.ht/aerc-intro.webm (t=35s)

Zimbra
https://www.zimbra.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/screenshot_messaging_and_collaboration.png