Subject: Re: bug#47023: df utilility displays G instead of GM as unit size for Gigabytes in power of 1000

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 15:21:29 -0800

On 3/10/21 2:50 PM, L A Walsh wrote:
> You are using a local 8-bit encoding, whereas everyone else was
> using UTF-8.  Your mailer re-encoded their messages into one
> of the 8-bit western encodings, whereas most people use UTF-8
> these days, so while their original messages with accents came
> through just fine in UTF-8, your re-encoding into Western didn't
> display properly.

Although his email did reencode those names into ISO 8859-1 which is 
more likely to cause problems than cure them these days, it still 
displays well on my MUA (Thunderbird) because its header said 
"Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1". His email is also 
displaying properly in the archive 
<https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=47023#16>, as the 
archiving software reencodes those names back into UTF-8 and the web 
page uses "Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8" for all the emails.

Possibly your email client is programmed to ignore encodings in incoming 
"Content-Type" lines; that would explain the glitches you saw.