Subject: Re: bug#46990: 28.0.50; popup menu not navigable via arrow keys on lucid build

From: Colin Baxter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 13:23:26 +0000

>>>>> Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]> writes:
    >>>>> Can you or someone who sees the problem please bisect this?
    >>>>> I'm delaying the release of Emacs 27.2 in the hope that we
    >>>>> could fix it, if indeed this was introduced between 27.1.90
    >>>>> and 27.1.91.
    >>>> 
    >>>> I may be guilty of crying wolf when there is none. If I
    >>>> configure the 27.1.91 pretest for lucid and "make", the effect
    >>>> does occur on launching emacs via src/emacs. However if I go
    >>>> the next step and "make install", the effect does not occur
    >>>> when I launch the installed emacs. I will double-check this by
    >>>> installing from the git master branch and report back.
    >>>> 
    >>>> I am sorry. I stupidly assumed launching emacs from an src
    >>>> directory would give the same beast as launching from the
    >>>> installed bin directory.
    >>> 
    >>> No need to be sorry: your assumption was correct.  Emacs should
    >>> generally work the same when you run it uninstalled.  It is
    >>> strange that it doesn't in this case.
    >>> 

    >> It seems that what Colin describes is an old (and indeed strange)
    >> behavior.  I just tried (on Debian GNU/Linux) various revisions
    >> of the trunk (up to 5b464a9cea from three years ago), and with
    >> --with-x-toolkit=lucid the menu cannot be navigated with arrow
    >> keys with an uninstalled emacs, and can be navigated with an
    >> installed one.

    Colin> Investigating further, I find that if I launch a lucid
    Colin> "emacs-28" via

    Colin> src/temacs -Q

    Colin> and evaluate (menu-bar-mode -1) then the popup menu, formed
    Colin> from <f10>, does indeed allow navigation from the arrow keys
    Colin> (as well as the mouse). Only launching "emacs-28" from the
    Colin> following

    Colin> 1. src/emacs -Q 2. src/bootstrap-emacs -Q
    Colin> 3. src/emacs-28.0.50.1 -Q

    Colin> fails to allow the popup menu-bar to be navigable from the
    Colin> arrow keys.

If I miss out the batch option and make an emacs by

./temacs -l loadup --temacs=pdump

then ./emacs -Q will allow the popup menu to be navigable via the arrow
keys.

This is about as far as my knowledge will allow. I will leave it to
others to decide what it all means.

Best wishes,

Colin Baxter.