Subject: bug#46990: 28.0.50; popup menu not navigable via arrow keys on lucid build

From: Colin Baxter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 12:56:07 +0000

>>>>> Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]> writes:

    >>>> Can you or someone who sees the problem please bisect this?
    >>>> I'm delaying the release of Emacs 27.2 in the hope that we
    >>>> could fix it, if indeed this was introduced between 27.1.90 and
    >>>> 27.1.91.
    >>> 
    >>> I may be guilty of crying wolf when there is none. If I
    >>> configure the 27.1.91 pretest for lucid and "make", the effect
    >>> does occur on launching emacs via src/emacs. However if I go the
    >>> next step and "make install", the effect does not occur when I
    >>> launch the installed emacs. I will double-check this by
    >>> installing from the git master branch and report back.
    >>> 
    >>> I am sorry. I stupidly assumed launching emacs from an src
    >>> directory would give the same beast as launching from the
    >>> installed bin directory.
    >> 
    >> No need to be sorry: your assumption was correct.  Emacs should
    >> generally work the same when you run it uninstalled.  It is
    >> strange that it doesn't in this case.
    >> 

    > It seems that what Colin describes is an old (and indeed strange)
    > behavior.  I just tried (on Debian GNU/Linux) various revisions of
    > the trunk (up to 5b464a9cea from three years ago), and with
    > --with-x-toolkit=lucid the menu cannot be navigated with arrow
    > keys with an uninstalled emacs, and can be navigated with an
    > installed one.

Investigating further, I find that if I launch a lucid "emacs-28" via

src/temacs -Q

and evaluate (menu-bar-mode -1) then the popup menu, formed from <f10>,
does indeed allow navigation from the arrow keys (as well as the
mouse). Only launching "emacs-28" from the following

1. src/emacs -Q
2. src/bootstrap-emacs -Q
3. src/emacs-28.0.50.1 -Q

fails to allow the popup menu-bar to be navigable from the arrow keys.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Colin Baxter.