Subject: Re: bug#46990: 28.0.50; popup menu not navigable via arrow keys on lucid build

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 23:34:46 +0000

>>> Can you or someone who sees the problem please bisect this?  I'm 
>>> delaying the release of Emacs 27.2 in the hope that we could fix it, 
>>> if indeed this was introduced between 27.1.90 and 27.1.91.
>>
>> I may be guilty of crying wolf when there is none. If I configure the 
>> 27.1.91 pretest for lucid and "make", the effect does occur on 
>> launching emacs via src/emacs. However if I go the next step and "make 
>> install", the effect does not occur when I launch the installed emacs. 
>> I will double-check this by installing from the git master branch and 
>> report back.
>>
>> I am sorry. I stupidly assumed launching emacs from an src directory 
>> would give the same beast as launching from the installed bin 
>> directory.
>
> No need to be sorry: your assumption was correct.  Emacs should 
> generally work the same when you run it uninstalled.  It is strange that 
> it doesn't in this case.
>

It seems that what Colin describes is an old (and indeed strange) 
behavior.  I just tried (on Debian GNU/Linux) various revisions of the 
trunk (up to 5b464a9cea from three years ago), and with 
--with-x-toolkit=lucid the menu cannot be navigated with arrow keys with 
an uninstalled emacs, and can be navigated with an installed one.