Subject: bug#46990: 28.0.50; popup menu not navigable via arrow keys on lucid build

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 22:03:06 +0200

> From: Colin Baxter <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  ,  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 19:39:23 +0000
> 
>     > Can you or someone who sees the problem please bisect this?  I'm
>     > delaying the release of Emacs 27.2 in the hope that we could fix
>     > it, if indeed this was introduced between 27.1.90 and 27.1.91.
> 
> I may be guilty of crying wolf when there is none. If I configure the
> 27.1.91 pretest for lucid and "make", the effect does occur on launching
> emacs via src/emacs. However if I go the next step and "make install",
> the effect does not occur when I launch the installed emacs. I 
> will double-check this by installing from the git master branch and
> report back.
> 
> I am sorry. I stupidly assumed launching emacs from an src directory
> would give the same beast as launching from the installed bin directory.

No need to be sorry: your assumption was correct.  Emacs should
generally work the same when you run it uninstalled.  It is strange
that it doesn't in this case.

It is true that the fact the problem doesn't happen in the installed
Emacs makes the problem less serious.  But since we don't really
understand why it happens in the uninstalled Emacs, we cannot
guarantee that it will never happen in an installed one, either.  So
if you can afford bisecting this, or debugging it further, I'd
appreciate any additional information you could dig out.  Ideally, we
should at least understand why this happens, before we decide whether
it should delay the release.

Thanks.