Subject: Re: bug#46988: 28.0.50; Documenting and verifying assumptions about C code not calling quit or GCing

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 20:42:46 +0100

Pip Cet <[email-masked]> writes:

> Patch attached. It assumes the standard stack growth direction, and
> that __builtin_frame_address (0) is available and works. Uses GCC's
> __attribute__ ((cleanup (...))).
>
> My point here is that the technical implementation isn't the problem,
> the question is whether we're disciplined enough to run with checking
> enabled and react to bug reports about the fatal error being thrown.

This is something that comes up again and again, so having
infrastructure to getting feedback faster on this stuff sounds like a
good idea to me.

Even better would be to have build-time warnings, but I guess that's
pretty much impossible?

On the other hand, even if this just gives us run-time feedback, I guess
the test suite would give some coverage here...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no