Subject: Re: bug#46979: Allow setting Man-default-entry via Local Variables

From: Daniel Martín <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 12:17:39 +0100

積丹尼 Dan Jacobson <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> EZ> IMO, it would make much more sense to derive that from the current
> EZ> major-mode (in Man-default-man-entry).  Patches welcome.
>
> OK, sounds good. But sometimes e.g., crontab mode is not in emacs
> officially yet, so supplementing that should still be an option.

The major mode approach would work great for Bash configuration files,
for example, but, as you mention, it may not work so well for Cron files
or other .rc/.conf files that share Fundamental or Conf mode, in the
abscence of a more specific mode.  The local variable would require
users to add them to existing files, only for Emacs.

Do you have a more complete list of potential use cases, ie. common
program configuration files with corresponding man pages? I don't know
if there are plenty of them, and with that information we could think of
the best and simplest way to implement the feature, if it's worth it.
Thanks.