Subject: bug#46974: 28.0.50; [nativecomp] wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p with native compiled code only

From: Erik Hetzner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2021 11:21:11 -0800

Hi all,

There is a difference between native compiled code and non-native
compiled code that the wanderlust community has surfaced. It is not
clear to me why this is happening.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start emacs -q

2. Eval the following code:
```
(require 'comp)
(setq package-native-compile t
      package-archives
      '(("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/")
        ("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")))
(package-initialize)
(package-refresh-contents)
(package-install 'flim)
 (while (or comp-files-queue
            (> (comp-async-runnings) 0))
   (sleep-for 1))
(require 'mel)
(message (encoded-text-decode-string "QUJD" "B"))
```
It should print: "ABC"

3. Quit emacs. (This seems necessary, but I'm not sure why.)

4. Start emacs -q again.

5. Eval the code again.

Expected result: "ABC". Actual result:

```
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p "QUJD")
  encoded-text-decode-string("QUJD" "B")
  (message (encoded-text-decode-string "QUJD" "B"))
  elisp--eval-last-sexp(nil)
  eval-last-sexp(nil)
  funcall-interactively(eval-last-sexp nil)
  command-execute(eval-last-sexp)
```

See also https://github.com/wanderlust/wanderlust/issues/156

best, Erik Hetzner

In GNU Emacs 28.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-03-04 built on lcy01-amd64-015
Repository revision: b9ccbac7685620d4624f55b9de361c610ede8aa4
Repository branch: feature/native-comp
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12010000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/snap/emacs/current/usr --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --without-xaw3d --with-modules --with-cairo --with-native-compilation
 'CFLAGS=-isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include
 -isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu
 -O2' 'CPPFLAGS=-isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include
 -isystem/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib
 -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib
 -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
 -L/build/emacs/parts/emacs/install/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa easymenu derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face pcase macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process
nativecomp emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 72422 3962)
 (symbols 48 6708 0)
 (strings 32 19712 2887)
 (string-bytes 1 675546)
 (vectors 16 14136)
 (vector-slots 8 287845 10043)
 (floats 8 22 30)
 (intervals 56 294 0)
 (buffers 992 12))