Subject: Re: bug#46964: [ELPA]: [PATCH] Replace modus-*-theme with modus-themes from :core

From: Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 09:59:32 +0200

On 2021-03-11, 17:54 -0500, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> At any rate, I do not know how to implement such in-place substitutes.
>> Can you please point me to the relevant documentation or some previous
>> case that I could study?  Then I will try to produce a patch.
>
> Rather than point at some similar previous case, here's how I'd do it:
>
> Make a new commit to the the elpa.git branches `modus-<foo>-theme` which
> basically gut the `modus-<foo>-theme.el` files, replacing them with tiny
> files containing just the header (where `Package-Requires:` says
> `modus-themes`) plus some shenanigans to look for the directory holding
> the `modus-themes.el` file and load the matching `modus-<foo>-theme.el`
> from it.  And maybe emit a warning just before doing that (both to
> state that the package is obsolete and to warn the users about the
> redirect, so they might know where to start looking in case something
> goes wrong).

Thank you Stefan (and Basil in the other message)!  I will research
those and act accordingly.

Note that I do not have commit rights to elpa.git: I sent the request a
few days ago.

-- 
Protesilaos Stavrou
protesilaos.com