Subject: Re: bug#46964: [ELPA]: [PATCH] Replace modus-*-theme with modus-themes from :core

From: Protesilaos Stavrou <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2021 18:19:08 +0200

On 2021-03-06, 14:39 +0000, "Basil L. Contovounesios" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Have you tried specifying the manual's source .org/.texi file as the
> package :doc property?

I tried with this:

    ("modus-themes"
      :core ("etc/themes/modus-themes.el"
             "etc/themes/modus-operandi-theme.el"
             "etc/themes/modus-vivendi-theme.el")
      :doc "doc/misc/modus-themes.org")

The feedback I get at the shell, with 'make packages/modus-themes':

    ...
    Linking files for package: modus-themes
      etc/themes/modus-themes.el -> modus-themes.el
      etc/themes/modus-operandi-theme.el -> modus-operandi-theme.el
      etc/themes/modus-vivendi-theme.el -> modus-vivendi-theme.el

Whereas the following creates a symlink for the org file as well:

    ("modus-themes"
      :core ("etc/themes/modus-themes.el"
             "etc/themes/modus-operandi-theme.el"
             "etc/themes/modus-vivendi-theme.el"
             "doc/misc/modus-themes.org"))

> Although I don't know whether :core packages support that yet, or
> whether elpa.git can even build .texi/.org manuals from emacs.git (see,
> for example, the commented-out entry in elpa-packages for cc-mode).

Indeed.  Besides, emacs.git only recently started including manuals in
Org format.

> [ P.S. If you're interested in becoming a member, I think it's time you
>   created a Savannah account and requested inclusion in the Emacs
>   project: https://savannah.gnu.org/project/memberlist.php?group=emacs ]

Just did.  It informed me that it sent an email to a list of
maintainers.

On 2021-03-06, 10:00 -0500, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> What I am not sure about---and apologies if I missed it in the elpa.git
>>> README---is whether a ":core" package benefits from the 'make' command
>>> when that has been called from the root of the emacs.git directory.
>
> :core packages are made by creating a local "look-alike" package which
> just contains symlinks to files in a pristine emacs.git tree.
> So I think the answer is "no".

I see, thank you!  What would be the best course of action then, to
include "doc/misc/modus-themes.org" or omit it?

-- 
Protesilaos Stavrou
protesilaos.com