Subject: bug#46963: 28.0.50; Bad WM size hints in GTK-3 builds

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2021 13:04:37 +0200

> From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2021 11:47:39 +0100
> 
> The culprit of the GTK3 behavior is Jan Djärv's fix for Bug#8919 which
> overrides X11 functions with homemade ones.  Commenting out these
> functions fixes the behavior here.  I'm not sure how to proceed though.
> 
> Reverting Jan's change might break Emacs for KDE users again although I
> doubt it.  A configure option is no option for people who do not build
> their Emacsen.  So a Lisp option is probably the only way to go which
> means to copy the functions from SetNrmHint.c to emacsgtkfixed.c.  Or
> maybe remove the emacsgtkfixed files altogether?  Any ideas?

When Jan made that change, did GTK3 already exist?  If not, then we
could avoid using that code for GTK3.

Alternatively, we could disallow making frames smaller than 4 lines,
because making our code jump through hoops for uses cases that are
supposed to be rare, to say the least, makes little sense to me.