Subject: bug#46958: 28.0.50; invalid-function error for macros that have function bindings

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 03:10:53 +0200

Robert Irelan <[email-masked]> writes:

> Therefore, it looks like this is not a new bug in Emacs. It would be
> nice if, when an invalid-function is thrown from bytecode, to check
> the runtime environment to see a macro with the same name is defined,
> and print a more informative error pointing out an issue with the
> compilation.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

I'm not sure there's much to be done here on the Emacs side.  When you
compiled the file, you should have gotten a byte compilation warning
about the macro not being defined.  The runtime error (about funcalling
the macro) could be expanded, of course, to something like "invalid
function (probably a missing byte compilation `require')" or something,
but I don't think that'd add a lot of value -- since you only get into
this situation by ignoring the byte compiler warning in the first case.

So I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no