Subject: [bug#46956] PATCH] doc: Add information about mirrors.

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 13:20:54 +0200

Hi,

I have not followed closely the discussion so maybe I am off topic.

On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 at 11:55, raid5atemyhomework via Guix-patches via <[email-masked]> wrote:

> +Below is a list of available substitute servers for the Guix distribution
> +channel; you can add a mirror that is nearer to you if you find that the
> +official Guix substitute server is slow:
> +
> +@itemize
> +@item @code{https://mirror.sjtu.edu.cn/guix} - China, SJTU.
> +@item @code{https://ci.guix.gnu.org} - Germany, official Guix server.
> +You should always add this as a substitute URL as a fallback.
> +@item @code{https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org} - France, official Guix
> +server.  You should always add this as a substitute URL as a
> +fallback.
> +@end itemize

>From my understanding bordeaux builds by its own and ci too, i.e., they
are not really a mirror from each other.  But the last is a real
mirror––from ci I guess.

It implies that the user does not necessary get the same binaries if the
build is not reproducible.

Well, my point is: the word «mirror» from the sentence «you can add a
mirror that is nearer…» should be «server» and the documentation should
not talk about mirror here, IMHO.  If my understanding is correct. :-)

> +@item @code{https://github.com/guix-mirror/guix} branch @code{master}
> +- USA, unofficial mirror.

Who is behind this mirror?  Well, I am not sure what means USA here.

All the best,
simon