Subject: bug#46936: Keyboard layout setting not applied by installer when laptop plugged in to Thunderbolt dock

From: Edgar Vincent <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2021 23:57:05 +0100

Hello everyone,

I installed Guix System on my laptop today with the following ISO image: 
`gk3mcnyallckwvi8f33idv2klj3lj8nw-image.iso`. Even after setting the 
keyboard layout to French/French in the wizard, the default QWERTY 
layout was still enabled. Re-setting it through the dialog which appears 
after pressing F1 had no effect.

It seems to happen only when my laptop is plugged in to my Lenovo 
Thunderbolt 3 dock. I rebooted four times and could reproduce the issue 
every time. Running `loadkeys fr` did enable the French layout in the 
TTY in which is was run, but not in the installer.

It also happens when an external USB keyboard is connected to the dock. 
It doesn't occur, however, when the USB keyboard is connected to the 
laptop and the dock is disconnected.

- Laptop model : Lenovo Thinkpad T470
- Dock model : Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 dock

You'll find attached the output of `dmesg`, `lspci`, `lsusb`, `lsmod`, a 
copy of the `/var/log/debug` file as well as a copy of `/var/log/messages`.

Thanks a lot for your great work,

Edgar Vincent