Subject: bug#46935: 28.0.50; Annoying interactions with X clipboard

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 13:53:48 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

>> All the time?  Not that I knew.  No package.  And only the options that
>> are provided by vanilla Emacs.  But now I found this option:
>> `x-selection-timeout'.  Shouldn't that be "our" variable?  Seems I have
>> set it to 0 (meaning infinity) in my config.  Here on this system the
>> variable is initialized with 5000 (milliseconds).
>
> Ah, I thought Emacs hung forever, but it turns out I was just too
> impatient.  Emacs does indeed hang for just five seconds (when testing
> with two "emacs -Q"s).

The current trunk is back to hanging forever in this scenario.  Test
case:

$ emacs -Q

Then select some text with the mouse and then `C-z' in the shell to stop
the Emacs.

Then start a new "emacs -Q" and use mouse-2 to paste.  Emacs will now
hang forever (until you hit C-g).  So it seems like things have possibly
regressed a bit, since it used to heed x-selection-timeout?

Perhaps Po has some insights here; added to the CCs.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no