Subject: Re: bug#46935: 28.0.50; Annoying interactions with X clipboard

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 20:26:54 +0100

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> All the time?  Not that I knew.  No package.  And only the options that
> are provided by vanilla Emacs.  But now I found this option:
> `x-selection-timeout'.  Shouldn't that be "our" variable?  Seems I have
> set it to 0 (meaning infinity) in my config.  Here on this system the
> variable is initialized with 5000 (milliseconds).

Ah, I thought Emacs hung forever, but it turns out I was just too
impatient.  Emacs does indeed hang for just five seconds (when testing
with two "emacs -Q"s).

> But ok, when this behavior is expected when I want Emacs to directly
> interact with the clipboard whenever I kill something (maybe that's what
> you meant with "all the time"?) and nobody disagrees with that, then I
> consider this part of the report as done.

Killing text shouldn't hang Emacs, I'd have thought -- but yanking text
will (if you've set up your Emacs to yank from the X
selection/clipboard).

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no