Subject: Re: bug#46935: 28.0.50; Annoying interactions with X clipboard

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2021 01:03:22 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> So I think the current design -- just wait indefinitely, or until the
> user says `C-g' -- is probably the correct one.  Any opinions?

Let me again say that it can be very annoying.  "Some Program is busy
for a long time" can already be fulfilled with "some program is
downloading something from the Internet" which can take...very long, I
live in Germany.

> In the default Emacs settings, you're only affected when actually trying
> to paste something from other programs, but if you have a package/use
> settings that make Emacs interact with the clipboard/primary selection
> all the time (which it sounds like you have?),

All the time?  Not that I knew.  No package.  And only the options that
are provided by vanilla Emacs.  But now I found this option:
`x-selection-timeout'.  Shouldn't that be "our" variable?  Seems I have
set it to 0 (meaning infinity) in my config.  Here on this system the
variable is initialized with 5000 (milliseconds).

But ok, when this behavior is expected when I want Emacs to directly
interact with the clipboard whenever I kill something (maybe that's what
you meant with "all the time"?) and nobody disagrees with that, then I
consider this part of the report as done.

Thanks so far,

Michael.