Subject: bug#46934: closed (Re: bug#46934: emacsy-minimal fails to build)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2021 21:38:02 +0000

Your bug report

#46934: emacsy-minimal fails to build

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
46934: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=46934
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#46934: emacsy-minimal fails to build
From: Xinglu Chen <[email-masked]>
To: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2021 22:36:57 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Fri, Mar 05 2021, Maxime Devos wrote:

> On Thu, 2021-03-04 at 22:37 +0100, Xinglu Chen wrote:
>> Hi,
>> 
>> While trying to install Nomad, the emacsy-minimal packages fails to
>> build.
>> 
>> [...]
>>
>> Since emacsy-minimal uses the gnu-build-system, I thought that
>> `autoreconf` would already be available in the build environment, no?
>
> gnu-build-system does not imply "autoconf" as a native-input.
> gnu-build-system refers to packages that have a "./configure && make
> && make check && make install" build system, these do not necessarily
> use autoconf and automake.  And when they do, the generated
> Makefile.in and configure script are often included in the release
> tarball, in which case gnu-build-system does not try to call
> "autoreconf".

Thanks for the explanation!

> I propose the attached patch, which seems to let "emacsy-minimal" build
> (on top of commit 4bc9a1f4e3bd39302b4ceaab8589a2e6ef82c4bd in my case).
> I've also fixed a build input of nomad (wrong variant of gnutls).  I can
> now start nomad!

Great, it works for me too.  Would you mind sending the patch to the
guix-patches mailing list?

Subject: emacsy-minimal fails to build
From: Xinglu Chen <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2021 22:37:14 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

While trying to install Nomad, the emacsy-minimal packages fails to
build.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
[...]

phase `unpack' succeeded after 0.0 seconds
starting phase `bootstrap'
patch-shebang: build-aux/git-version-gen: changing `/bin/sh' to
`/gnu/store/pwcp239kjf7lnj5i4lkdzcfcxwcfyk72-bash-minimal-5.0.16/bin/sh'
running './autogen.sh'
patch-shebang: ./autogen.sh: changing `/bin/sh' to
`/gnu/store/pwcp239kjf7lnj5i4lkdzcfcxwcfyk72-bash-minimal-5.0.16/bin/sh'
./autogen.sh: line 2: autoreconf: command not found
command "./autogen.sh" failed with status 127
builder for
`/gnu/store/1xz2q90jcv10g24jgv4lkcdvi7qv5wd4-emacsy-minimal-0.4.1-37-g5f91ee6.drv'
failed with exit code 1
build of
/gnu/store/1xz2q90jcv10g24jgv4lkcdvi7qv5wd4-emacsy-minimal-0.4.1-37-g5f91ee6.drv
failed
View build log at
'/var/log/guix/drvs/1x/z2q90jcv10g24jgv4lkcdvi7qv5wd4-emacsy-minimal-0.4.1-37-g5f91ee6.drv.bz2'.
guix build: error: build of
`/gnu/store/1xz2q90jcv10g24jgv4lkcdvi7qv5wd4-emacsy-minimal-0.4.1-37-g5f91ee6.drv'
failed
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Since emacsy-minimal uses the gnu-build-system, I thought that
`autoreconf` would already be available in the build environment, no?

I was able to reproduce this with:

$ guix time-machine --commit=bc10203 -- build emacsy-minimal

Any help would be appreciated!