Subject: Re: bug#46933: Possible bugs in filepos-to-bufferpos / bufferpos-to-filepos

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 06:17:09 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> The GDB manual, if you have it, is generated in split form.

Thanks; I could test with that.

>> But there's one new in-tree usage for this -- in
>> hexl.el.  (In hexl-mode-exit and hexl-maybe-dehexlify-buffer.)  I don't
>> know whether that has the problem described in this bug report, though
>> (I'm not familiar with hexl.el at all).
>
> There's no reason why this won't be relevant to hexl: it is a
> general-purpose hex editor, so editing a file encoded in one of those
> problematic ISO-2022 encodings should bump into the same issues.

I meant more that I don't really know what it wants to achieve, or what
kinds of files are typically used by hexl users.  Do people use that on
huge hex dumps or something else?  And on hex dumps, there's typically
be no coding system, so loading the file into memory just to determine
that would be inefficient.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no