Subject: Re: bug#46933: Possible bugs in filepos-to-bufferpos / bufferpos-to-filepos

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 15:14:57 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 12:40:15 +0200
> 
> > The original (and so far the only) use case was an Info manual
> > separated into several files, where the tag table at the end of the
> > main file specifies offsets in bytes.  See the function
> > Info-find-node-2 in info.el.
> 
> We no longer split up .info files into several files, so that's a bit
> difficult to test.

The GDB manual, if you have it, is generated in split form.

> But there's one new in-tree usage for this -- in
> hexl.el.  (In hexl-mode-exit and hexl-maybe-dehexlify-buffer.)  I don't
> know whether that has the problem described in this bug report, though
> (I'm not familiar with hexl.el at all).

There's no reason why this won't be relevant to hexl: it is a
general-purpose hex editor, so editing a file encoded in one of those
problematic ISO-2022 encodings should bump into the same issues.