Subject: Re: bug#46933: Possible bugs in filepos-to-bufferpos / bufferpos-to-filepos

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2022 12:40:15 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> If I understand correctly, the suggestion here is to use this function
>> in Info-find-node-2 instead of `filepos-to-bufferpos'?
>
> "Unless it's too slow".

Let's see...

> The original (and so far the only) use case was an Info manual
> separated into several files, where the tag table at the end of the
> main file specifies offsets in bytes.  See the function
> Info-find-node-2 in info.el.

We no longer split up .info files into several files, so that's a bit
difficult to test.  But there's one new in-tree usage for this -- in
hexl.el.  (In hexl-mode-exit and hexl-maybe-dehexlify-buffer.)  I don't
know whether that has the problem described in this bug report, though
(I'm not familiar with hexl.el at all).

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no