Subject: Re: bug#46926: Remove the quotes from highlighted/linked symbols when displaying docs

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 11:06:04 -0600

scame <[email-masked]> writes:

> Not at all. I mean it to be constructive the emacs project should invite
> a visual designer of Gnome to improve the default look.

I agree that help from a graphical/UIX designer would be very good.  But
I don't know how to procure such help.  It seems like Emacs has had this
need for the last 20 years or so, but someone has yet to step up.

> The default look is pretty ugly, no offense.

I don't think people are easily offended even by sharp criticism around
here.  But it is better to be more concrete, as it is hard to do
something about the rather abstract statement that Emacs is "ugly".

For example, the suggestion you made in this bug report is concrete and
actionable.  I invite you to make more such proposals that can help us
move forward in this area.

>> Does anyone else here think the compromise I proposed could have some
>> merit?
>
> If changing the default is refused then I agree a config
> option is a  good compromise, because then people can see its effect
> at everyday usage and they can judge its merits if they change the option.

Agreed.  I have explained previously why I think it would be better if
the option was on by default, but baby steps are still steps.