Subject: bug#46926: Remove the quotes from highlighted/linked symbols when displaying docs

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 17:45:16 +0200

On 16.03.2021 05:32, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
>>   [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 01:20:27 +0200
>>
>> On 15.03.2021 19:51, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>>>>>> Until the project has such an expert consultant, wouldn't asking the
>>>>>> emacs community be a better way to decide such issues? E.g. running
>>>>>> a vote on /r/emacs.
>>>>> No, because offering an opt-in behavior is a better way of letting
>>>>> users to try the feature.
>>>> Perhaps these two actions can be combined?
>>> How would you propose to combine them?
>>
>> We add the option, announce it, and in 2-4 weeks ask people for their
>> opinion based on their experience with the changed UI.
> 
> I don't see how this is different from offering an opt-in behavior, so
> I'm okay with this.

Simply saying "let's make it opt-in" closes the door on the discussion 
of the subsequent change of the default, which is often what reporters 
care about in discussions like this.

But if we say "let's make it opt-in then discuss the change later", that 
has a higher chance of making both sides happier. And helps us gather 
feedback backed by some usage experience.