Subject: Re: bug#46926: Remove the quotes from highlighted/linked symbols when displaying docs

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 17:41:10 +0200

On 16.03.2021 05:36, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 21:37:00 -0500
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
>> 	[email-masked]
>>
>> Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> We add the option, announce it, and in 2-4 weeks ask people for their
>>> opinion based on their experience with the changed UI.
>>
>> Sounds good to me.
>>
>> IOW, it would follow a similar procedure to the one we used for "M-o".
> 
> I hope not, because we are at an impasse there now.

The procedure would be a bit different, obviously.

But speaking of 'M-o', even if we end up reverting the change because we 
receive enough evidence of the change being problematic, that wouldn't 
characterize the approach as bad. It would just reach one of its 
possible conclusions, as any good scientific experiment should.

What could reflect on the approach poorly, is if, for example, we follow 
it, then keep the change because nobody brings up significant problems, 
and then, after Emacs 28 is released, we find out about some big 
breakage caused by the change.