Subject: Re: bug#46926: Remove the quotes from highlighted/linked symbols when displaying docs

From: Gregory Heytings <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 13:01:36 +0000

>>> I hope not, because we are at an impasse there now.
>>
>> FWIW, I don't see any impasse.  The experiment was successfully carried 
>> out, and has allowed us to gather feedback on which to base a final 
>> decision.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something, but didn't Lars say a few days ago that 
> (almost) no feedback was received?
>

Yes, and this was the expected outcome of the experiment.  The experiment 
said: "If the removal of this key binding doesn't annoy too many people". 
So if (almost) no feedback is received, it means that it doesn't annoy to 
many people, IOW, that the experiment was successful, and that the key 
binding can be removed.

>
> And if we gathered enough feedback, then why are we once again disputing 
> whether "M-o M-o" is an important binding, and if so, where to move it?
>

I don't see any dispute.

You (and two other people) mentioned that you want to keep the 
functionality of "M-o M-o" in vanilla Emacs.

Stefan M explained that "M-o M-o" = font-lock-fontify-block does not work 
well, and that he would like to deprecate it.

I proposed a font-lock-update command that would be bound on "C-x x f", 
and said that while the "C-x x f" binding is less convenient than "M-o 
M-o", this regression is (largely?) compensated by the fact that 
font-lock-update works correctly, unlike font-lock-fontify-block. 
Moreover, the font-lock-update command is also more general, as it can be 
used to correctly toggle Font Lock mode, which M-x font-lock-mode can't 
do.

Nobody replied to that proposal (yet?).